The Disability Representative acts as a supportive voice and advocate for students with disabilities (including physical, mental, learning, and developmental) as well as persistent chronic illnesses and impairments.
The JD is challenging by any standard and experiencing a disability while studying can feel especially daunting and isolating. The Disability Representative aims to make the JD experience a little easier. Current initiatives and duties include:
- Drop-in sessions between students and faculty
- Facilitating greater accessibility for students to utilise the disability support services at MLS, including Academic Adjustment Plans and Alternative Exam Arrangements
- Advertising disability-specific legal opportunities
- Fostering a sense of disability community at MLS through social opportunities to interact with other students experiencing disabilities
- Working to encourage openness about disability and reduce stigma through networking opportunities and social events
Bridie Cochrane-Holley is the Disability Representative for 2021. She can be reached via the MULSS Disability email address for anything spanning from advocacy, additional assistance and questions, to just generally touching base. Your identity will be kept in absolute confidence unless you wish otherwise.
Wellbeing Co-ordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are facing any difficulty with regard to your disability, including assessment concerns, your first port of call is to book an appointment with the Wellbeing Co-ordinator or email them.
MLS Equal Opportunity Liaison Officer for Disability: email@example.com
The role of Equal Opportunity Liaison Officers at MLS is to address disability policy issues and facilitate the progress of students with disabilities through their respective law program and liaise with and support students in academic and other related matters. You can contact Glenn Patmore, the MLS Equal Opportunity Liaison Officer for Disability via email.
Legal Academic Skills Centre: https://law.unimelb.edu.au/students/lasc
MLS provides numerous academic support resources, including one-on-one support for assessments and legal writing skills.